Monday, May 16, 2005

Wanted, one body clock

Hi Caffine Addicts, and other non hypo types, Well last night at 7pm, after a day of pretty much stuff all, I decided it was time to go out for the night, so therefore time to get out of my PJ's. Just then the phone rang. "Hi Rebecca, we have a shift on tomorrow, 3:22am start. See you then." BUGGER!!! Now don't get me wrong, I actually like 3am starts, it is a good way to get the day over and done with quickly, but I like to have a bit more notice. If I had the notice, I would have done a shitload of stuff during the day, so that I would be tired and ready for bed at 5pm. You see a 3am start means a 1:30am wake up call for me, and that is cutting it down to the minimum. So at 2am, I wake up, from a few hours of cat napping, (what was that about minimum time to get ready?) quickly rush around, and get out the door at 2:40am for the drive to work. When I get to work, I find out where my train is parked, and go to get it ready. I press the panto up button, and... nothing. Mmmm. I give the controllers a call, to find out the following: "Yeah hi, we have an occo at SKN, so no power to NMY for another hour, sorry." Thankfully I know what this statement means. It means I could have stayed in bed for another hour, oh well, I'm here now, may as well sleep on the train. About 20 minutes later, we have power, so I start my prep, then go back to sleep for another 20 minutes, until my departure time. First run of the day is easy, dock the train to the station, then go have lunch, or tucker as we call it. The the second half of the day is where the fun started. Run a train to Broadmeadows, easily done, there and back, now run a train to Cranbourne, easily done there, not so on the way back. It turns out there had been a car try to board a train on a level crossing, so things had been a bit stuffed up down that way all morning. I got to Cranbourne, five minutes late, but that's ok, because I had 19 minutes to wait on the timetable. My departure time arrives, and I don't get the signal to leave. Mmm. I call the signaller to find out what is happening, only to be told: "Hi Driver, you have been AMEX for 6418, now forming 6420, 1037 depart." Now this to me says one thing... OVERTIME! Anyway to cut a long story short, I finally got home about 1:30pm and went straight to bed. I finally woke up at 5pm, because my phone was ringing, and now I don't know which part of the day it is, my body says morning, my brain says late night. Now this wouldn't be too much of an issue, because I have tomorrow off, except I now have to go across to the other side of town to record a voice over, and I have to be there at 9am! Arrrrgh. Somebody lend me a body clock please! Blog Out, HooRoo Bec

5 Comments:

At 5/16/2005 10:04:00 pm, Blogger mj said...

What a life you lead Bec.

It's great that your back on the rails again! Hope your next few shifts are more normal.

m!key

 
At 5/16/2005 11:28:00 pm, Blogger Huggies said...

Hey Bec

Good to hear about your train driving adventures. I hope you don't mind me asking this but when you were working in the ticket booth awhile back were you put here for awhile because you had a SPAD (Signal passed at Danger) ? I'm just curious as I know in QLD the drivers get a few weeks in the train shed if they have a SPAD.

Regards

Hugs

 
At 5/17/2005 07:09:00 am, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Mikey,
Thanks for the kind words, yes it is great too be back, but that is as normal as it gets.

Hi Mr Huggies,
I didn't actually have a SPAD, heck up until yesterday I hadn't had an overshoot, and even then it was half a cab over. Curse trying to get use tot he air brake again.
Anyway, the reason for being off the tracks was mainly political, and too long a story for here. About six months ago I was given the ok to get back, but the games had to be played.
HooRoo
Bec

 
At 5/17/2005 10:15:00 pm, Blogger Huggies said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/17/2005 10:16:00 pm, Blogger Huggies said...

Hey Bec

Cool. I hear about stories of drivers SPADing all the time. I'm glad your on the rails again.

I use to go for Cab Rides with Drivers here in Brisbane but I haven't done it of late because they have cracked down on it. I can go with a Guard I know but he mainly works at night when I'm at work.

Regards

Huggies

P.S. If I ever go to Melbourne or Sydney I'm going to wack a reflective QR logo on the front of one of the Suburbans. Near Impossible to get em off hehehehehe.... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO