Tuesday, January 17, 2006

For something similar

Hi instruction Manuals, and other non informative things. I like Op Shopping. There I have said it. Cast your doubt on me, throw me aside, pity me if you will, but I like Op Shopping. I can hear the chickens now, Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! But it is not about being a tightarse when it comes to buying things, it is the thrill of the hunt. If you go to just about any Shopping Centre (except my local one, dang it is bad), you can get what you want, in the size you want, in the colour you want, or even in green. While there you can find the matching shoes, matching handbag, get a coffee (and associated "Blow the Diet" cake), totally max out your credit card, and leave happy. Op Shopping is not like that. In an Op Shop, it is like hunting for wild animals to feed your family. Sure you could just get food stamps while you are there, if you want to feed your family, but that is a different story. For me, it is like playing clothes lotto. Think about it, you find the perfect top, it looks great, but dang, it is a size 10, and way too small. So you start looking for something similar, because you will never find THAT same top again. Finally after hours of searching, in which time your nose has lost all sense of smell, because of the lingering smell of moth balls. Side issue. Just how do moths eat moth balls? They are huge, and I have never seen a moth with a mouth big enough to fit one of those balls in it. Hang on, maybe moths have a detachable jaw like snakes. Mmmm. Anyway, you finally find the right sized top, one that you are fairly happy with colour wise, but you still curse that size 10. You take the top, try it on in the change room, and then you notice the big tear in the side which you have no way of ever repairing. So this top is also a write off. Finally out of shear frustration, you just grab yet another denim skirt, because you can never have enough of those, and walk out. But that is not the end of the shopping experience, because Op Shops are never found in singles, they are like rabbits, and where you find one, you find a dozen. You have your big name stores, The Salvo's, St.Vinnies, Red Cross. You have your second tier stores, RSPCA, Hospital Auxiliary. You have your local stores, CWA Op Shoppe, Wednesday Only Church op shops, and finally the real crap of the crap KMart. Another thing I've noticed in Op Shops, is the want of some people to haggle. You see them all the time, turning up in their BMW's or SVU's, finding some old tea pot set, then trying to haggle down the price to $2.50 instead of $3. These people really piss me off. Most likely they are art collectors who will then go off and sell the piece for thousands of dollars. Do these people realise at all, that this shops are a charity? If you want to complain about paying $2 for mirror, go and pay full retail, and have a good hard look at yourself. So at the end of my Op Shop experience yesterday, I walked away with one new top, one new skirt, and an old board game from my childhood. Now if only I can remember how to play it. I knew I should have spent the extra 10 cents for the instructions. Blog Out HooRoo Rebecca

5 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 03:03:00 pm, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

I worked in an insurance salvage store. I can't remember if I blogged about it. I will tell more. Just try to stop me. We got merchandise from stores that had burned, or been flooded, or gone bankrupt. We had many bargains there, but I was concerned when college guys came in and actually bought the Lifestyles condoms we had on display. I think maybe if a condom is salvaged, it might not be so reliable. You're right about people trying to haggle over the prices. Rich people in fur coats, with platinum credit cards.

 
At 1/17/2006 03:41:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Becc, was the game you bought Twister? I don't have instructions in written form but I am sure it would be fun for us all to have a go at the game some time...of course using our memory of how to play along. And...Sorry, I know sentences shouldn't begin with "And", but there you go I broke the rules!... maybe we could play it to music, like the music from Romper Room, Loved that show,yummy milk and cookies...DARN, she never did see me in the mirror!!!
HEHE, from Cazzie.

 
At 1/17/2006 05:13:00 pm, Blogger LanternLight said...

I knew I should have spent the extra 10 cents for the instructions.

*smile*

And you said you weren't being a tightarse!

Not Twister then?

 
At 1/18/2006 12:45:00 am, Blogger Huggies said...

Op Shops rule! The Life Line shops have a sign saying about the price being set so no haggling.

 
At 1/18/2006 09:53:00 am, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Sheriff,
I'm not much of a liker for old persons crap though. Oh the musky smell of death.
Rummaging though, it is the modern day Ballarat Gold Fields.

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
Mmmm, fire damaged condoms. Now that's a new spin on Burning Rubber.
Those rich bastards! How else do you think they got that way. That's it, I'm going to start haggling, starting with your blog. I now want a 20% discount on content.

Hi Cazzie,
No, it was not Twister. Given my recent form with comments about Twister, that is a game I should avoid all together.
And another thing, who cares, if you start a sentence with the word and, and/or use it more than once before a full stop or semi-colon.
Now you run off and be a good little Do-Bee, and Do-Bee all day long. Buzz Buzz.

Hi Lantern,
I'm not a tightarse, it just wasn't worth it. I may be cheap, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't find a bargain when I can.

Hi Mr Huggies,
Life Line is one of the better stores I have found. Anything that helps prevent suicide gets my vote. Problem is their nearest store to me is about 30km's away, but I do go there when I can.

Hi Andy,
Hark! Do I hear the pot calling the kettle black?
How about you stop being such a povvo when it comes to toilet cleaners?

HooRoo
Rebecca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO