Monday, April 24, 2006

Know the game

Hi Keychains, and other non ding jangle things. What the hell was I thinking? As regular readers of this blog will know, I decided to start playing hockey again, and I am feeling it today. I would have typed this last night when the game was over, but I could hardly move my hands then, let alone any other part of my body. Heck, even my eyes are sore from the game, so seeing the screen is a strain. For those who know the game of hockey, you will know what an Inside Forward (or Inner) does. For those who don't know, basically, you run the full length of the field back and forth for the entire game, non stop. For some strange reason, I played the game as an Inner, and boy did I work both ends of the ground. By the end of the first half, we were one goal down. Early in the second half, the ball was, passed to me in our back half, and I ran the rest of the field, short pass off to the Centre Forward, she tapped the ball back to me, and I made a nice little flick pass past the Goalie, to make it one all. This was my fifth ever career goal. I scored one in 1987, one in 1989, two in 2003, and now one in 2006. Who knows, there may be a forward in me just yet. A few minutes later, there I was on our backline, making a save after the ball beat our Goalie on a short corner. Talk about playing the field. So now, I can hardly move, yet work calls, so I must go earn my pay. Needless to say, the hockey bug has bitten me again, and I am there for the season. Next week I understand I am in Goals. Don't think this is going to be easier, I expect to be in more pain than I am today. Blog Out HooRoo Rebecca

13 Comments:

At 4/24/2006 03:07:00 pm, Blogger Deadman said...

"and other NON ding jangle things"

I guess that makes me a keychain.

 
At 4/24/2006 04:56:00 pm, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh MARK!!!! Becc, try the nice warm bath with Electric Soda in it for sure, you will feel alot better until next week that is. At least ur going to be mighty fit by the end of the season cheers Cazzie!!!

 
At 4/24/2006 05:03:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Mark,
Only if you want to be one.

Hi Cazzie,
I think I could bath in just the Epsom Salt and no water, and I would still feel like shit. Hopefully by the end of the season I can start to walk the next day.

HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 4/24/2006 09:01:00 pm, Blogger LanternLight said...

I would have typed this last night when the game was over, but I could hardly move my hands then, let alone any other part of my body.

My understanding of hockey from high school, was that the object was to beat the tripe out of the opposing team.

Scoring was optional. :-)

Deep Heat and ibuprofen might help.
Hope you get better soon.

 
At 4/24/2006 10:06:00 pm, Blogger Huggies said...

Much match Violence ?

 
At 4/25/2006 09:35:00 am, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Yes thats my understanding too Lantern, after watching the ice hockey movie "Slap Shot" I guess you know where I would be coming from, LOL.
Cazzie!!!

 
At 4/25/2006 03:17:00 pm, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Now we just need a pic of Rebecca slogging a goal in the next match..GO GIRL GO!!!

 
At 4/25/2006 09:23:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Lantern,
Hockey has a much greater skill level when you know how to play it. Just look at a professional gme from the Netherlands or India one day, and you will see just how good it can be. To see how average it can be, just see one of my games.

Hi Mr Huggies,
A coulpe of hip and shoulders, but just normal play really.

Hi Cazzie,
Well in real hockey, we don't use a puck, or as much padding as a gridiron player.

Hi Cazzie,
As you can see from the post, me getting a goal is a rare treat indeed. If you do get a photo of it, be sure to also buy a lotto ticket.

HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 4/29/2006 08:55:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Retired goalies always try and make a go as a forward....tratior! WTF were you thinking.

 
At 4/29/2006 09:17:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Dr Evil,
A "retired" goalie? Well, given I will be in the net for the next two games at least, and available to do it for any game of the season, I would hardly call myself retired.
I play where the club needs me to play. It is a team sport, and I play it for that. Heck, if they needed me to sit on the bench for an entire game, I would do it, no questions asked, no axes to grind.
HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 4/29/2006 09:55:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooha Nelly! I didn't even get a chance to bait the hook let alone cast......I was a half, saw the light, became a goalie. 17 year later, hugh up the pads n stopped playing. Hockey politics killed my interest...and the Altona Hockey Club.

 
At 4/29/2006 10:03:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Rhino,
So you were at Altona? Wow, we might have played against each other over the years. I played for a club situated up the road, which has the same colours as a local AFL team. I think you will know who I am talking about.
I started juniors in 1980 (yes I was 5), and played until we won the 1991 GF against Camberwell, 3-2 at St,Kilda/Powerhouse. The game was on grass too!
That was the end of my juniors, I then went into playing and coaching in the seniors, until ending with the club half way through the 2003 season.
I'm now at another club down the road a bit further, and I am loving it there.
Usually when I am out of the goals, I end up playing as a left half, but I can play anywhere.
HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 4/30/2006 11:34:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Litmus test completed.....I now officially dub you with legend status....welcome to the Rhino's blogroll.....LOL!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO