Thursday, July 13, 2006

The old caravan

Hi Mandarins, and other non citrus misspelled Asian locations. Well readers, I think I have finally recovered enough to bring you the last installment of the Krispy Kreme saga. Yes it is finally time for the review of the product. First of all, I will start with my introduction to the said product. As I waited in line to get my two dozen donuts, I was handed a freshly made KK Original off the production line. I would have to say, this didn't taste too bad, but the amount of sugar on the donut (called "glazing") was amazing. I had no idea you could put that much sugar on a product. Heck, even raw sugar cane doesn't contain as much sugar, and I was getting a dozen of these things. Next came selection time. Each donut will be rated out of five donut holes. After all, the better the donut, the more of the holes you want to eat. I rate the original glazed, 3 holes. Provided it is fresh and hot. Chocolate Iced with Sprinkles. I have never been one to eat chocolate icing. In fact I detest the very taste of chocolate milk, chocolate cake, or chocolate icing. But for some reason I like chocolate on it's own. But anyway, this donut is just a case of taking the original donut, and adding more sugar, this time in a variety of colours, nestled on a thin layer of run of the mill chocolate icing. Rating, 0.5 of a hole. Chocolate Iced, Custard Filled. I couldn't bring myself to eat this donut, so instead, I gave it to one of Cazzie's kids. As we all know, kids love anything food like, especially junk food. Her daughter took enough of a bite out of the donut to be able to suck the custard out, and then didn't want anymore. The custard in question, well I have never seen custard like it before. It kind of looked like some kind of polyfiller you would use if your space shuttle had tiles falling of it. Rating, No Holes. Raspberry Flavoured. This one was more along the lines of what a donut tastes like. The jam had the texture of A Negative blood, which is normal for a jam donut, and thankfully the jam wasn't too sweet, which mixed nicely with that famous"glazing" used on the outside of the donut. If I was attending a football game, and these were the donuts on offer, then I would certainly consider them for a three quarter time snack. Rating, 4 Holes. Chocolate Iced, Creme Filled. Now for me, the word is spelt cream, not creme. Bit given the name of the store is Krispy Kreme, I could have settled for a bit of marketing on the manufacturers part, with this donut being called the Chocolate Iced, Kreme Filled. The ploy being that the "kreme" used is a secret recipe, known only to three people in the world, who are not allowed to fly on the same aeroplane. If there is such a secret, then could these three people please fly on the same plane that crashes? As some people say "White is not a colour, it is a shade", this filling should be known as "It is not filling, it is just a void made to look like filling". Rating, 0.75 Holes. Cinnamon Apple Filled. I must say, this donut actually had some taste. I think it has to do with not being covered in that special "glazing" which can only be found on these donuts, and as the walls of aquariums. The filling contained actual chunks of something that might actually be apple, and the texture of the over all donut was quite pleasant. It kind of reminded me of something you would get from a country bakery as you toured through the hills on a Sunday drive. Rating, 4.5 Holes. Blueberry Flavoured. The look of this donut is "I've been sitting in the sun for a week", but that aside, not too bad a taste. Instead of calling it Blueberry flavoured, it should be called "What is that secret hint of flavour? It's blueberry". If there was more Blueberry in this donut, it would rate higher, but still, not too bad an effort. Rating, 3 Holes. Glazed Lemon Filled. Now I am someone who loves a good lemon. Growing up we had a lemon tree in the back yard, so picking and eating them straight from the tree was the norm. Because of this upbringing, I am partial to just about all things lemon-y, so I was looking forward to this donut. I would have to say that I wasn't overly disappointed either, there was a nice mix of lemon filling, which was offset nicely by the donut casing. Rating, 3.5 Holes. Powdered Strawberry Filled. If marshmellows could bleed, then this is what they would be like. A very strange donut indeed. With most filled donuts, you can feel when you bite through to the gooey stuff in the middle, but with this one, you bite into it, and wonder why your teeth are suddenly together. Where did the donut go? Oh, I am eating it. The donut is the kind that you feel like you could eat a dozen of them, and no one would know, because they are so light to eat. The problem is, the jam dripping from the corner of your mouth, and the ring of icing sugar around your lips, that make you look like you have just given mouth to mouth to a cocaine factory, would be a give away. All in all, a rather tasteless experience. Rating, 1 Hole. Glazed Cruller. A weird donut. Think original KK donut, but one you could use to replace a broken sprocket in your gearbox. Rating, 2 holes. Glazed Devils Food. If you saw this donut in the middle of the footpath, you would step around it, and curse people who don't pick up after their dogs. Another one i could not bring myself to eat, touching it was bad enough. I left this one to Cazzie to eat, but it's last known whereabouts is unknown. Rating, No Holes. So all in all, would I travel across town to get these donuts again? Simple answer is no. I don't know how people can crave these things that much, it is just good marketing I guess. But if I was walking along the street and had the sudden urge for a donut, then something from here would do the job. I am now considering starting a new blog, looking for the best donut I can find, but I don't think my waistline could handle it. For now, when I really want a donut, I will just have to stick to the Olympic donuts from the old caravan at Footscray Station. Mmmmm, donuts. Blog Out, HooRoo, Rebecca

9 Comments:

At 7/13/2006 04:46:00 pm, Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Glazed devil's food tasted ok enough,as I am a savoury tooth by nature and my most loved sweet is licorice, I can say that it was not all that sweet but did have a nice chocolate flavour about it. It was dry though so I rate it a 4 out of 10.
My favourite Donut as a kid was from the Footscray Market. A donut with jam and creme in it....shaped like a hot dog bun it was and covered in icing sugar :)

 
At 7/13/2006 06:14:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Cazzie,
I love the same kind of donut growing up too. I think the official name for it is a Long John.
HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 7/14/2006 02:09:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long John? I thought we were discussing boobies here. Oops, wrong blog, my mistake, carry on as you were.

 
At 7/14/2006 05:57:00 am, Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

I can't figure out what all the hype is about these donuts either. I thought they were nasty, glad to see someone took the time to research it and fill in the rest of the world!

 
At 7/14/2006 06:30:00 am, Blogger LanternLight said...

Give me a piping-hot, tongue burning, jam filled donut any day.

I'd do almost anything for one of those, I'm cheap like that.

 
At 7/17/2006 07:53:00 am, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Tom,
Sorry, but we are talking donuts here. If you want to get your mind into the gutter, I will suggest you visit Rachy's site. :-P

Hi Mrs Coach,
Thanks for dropping by the Rants, make yourself at home.
My only reason for getting the donuts was, I was bored, and wanted something to blog about. Watching the way people hyped about these things was very interesting indeed, but like you, I just can't work out why.

Hi Lantern,
Then Footscray Station, and some finery from the Olympic Donuts van is what you need.

Hi Dr Evil,
I thought I was right, gee, I haven't had one of those in years, maybe I should have one again, just for old times sake.

HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 7/18/2006 12:49:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and take one to Rachel if you can. Maybe you can get The Bad Nurse to have a fit at Rachel's diet being broken.

 
At 7/18/2006 01:11:00 am, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Tom,
My first stop after the KK donuts was to take one to Rachy. If I take her anymore donuts, she might turn into Homer Simpson.
HooRoo
Rebecca

 
At 7/19/2006 01:14:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! I mean, your taking of the donuts to Rachel, not the possibility of her turning into Mr. Simpson. "Doh-nuts" indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO