Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Crappy Jobs. Part One

Each time over the last few days I have tried to type this, Blogger has been down for running repairs, finally I get to type.
Hi Dim Sims, and other non cabbage products. Well it looks like a bit of a tie, for when it comes to wanting to know about my former jobs. So, in this episode, we start at the top, with Abattoir Cleaner. When I was growing up, early teens, my Grandfather worked at his local abattoirs, cleaning out the pens. Grandpa was getting on a bit, so it was decided for me, that a weekend job with Grandpa would be a good thing. So on Saturdays, after I had finished playing hockey, I would get on the train, travel up to Baccus Marsh, and head straight out to the abattoirs to clean out the animal poo from the pens. It was hard work, especially when the animals were still in the pens, but occasionally it had its good moments. Moments like being able to release some of that teen angst, by being on the "bolt". The "bolt" is the kind of gun like device, used to fell the animals, before they are carved up. It was quite therapeutic calling the animals by the names of the people you didn't like, then put a bolt into them. But don't worry, it is all safe now, I've worked past that stage of my life. Growing up, and still to today, I have long limbs. One day the main "liquids" drain was blocked. Liquids were things like blood, urine, stomach contents, that kind of thing. Stuff that is not very nice. Well after a few people tried, it was decided for me, my arm was the longest, so I had to reach into the drain, not a nice thing. After a bit of feeling around, I then successfully removed the animal head that was blocking the drain. This was not pleasant work. It was interesting to see the different things animals get up to in an abattoir. All the male animals were separated from the female animals, but even in those last few moments of life, instincts took over, and much "male bonding" took place. On special days, a BBQ was started, and fresh offal was plentiful. I know that stuff is horrible to many people, but I still to this day love a feed of sheep kidneys, various hearts, and dare I say liver. So now that I have put you all off meat, I guess I should tell you how much money I made from this job, that's simple. Nothing. I never got a single cent for the work I did there. My payment was a glass of Raspberry Lemonade, and maybe if I had worked hard, a packet of chips, down at the pub. Sure it was hard work, but I learnt a lot from it, and it gave me a lot of respect for my Grandfather. I miss him dearly, it would be nice to visit him again, but these days, it would just be too confusing for him, and I'd like the old man to live out his days in peace. Blog Out HooRoo Bec

4 Comments:

At 10/07/2005 09:10:00 am, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Thank you so much. I feel the bad dreams a-comin' tonight!

 
At 10/07/2005 09:13:00 am, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Hillbilly Mom,
Looks like we were cross posting at the same time. Enjoy the dreams, sorry about them, but that was about as clean as I could get the story with out just saying "I worked at an abattoir".
HooRoo
Bec

 
At 10/07/2005 12:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Bec, you really did go the whole hog. I guess you really would need guts to do a job like that. Don't think I could do it, I would always get in the shit, and I dont think I would have the heart.

Moving right along. Maybe you should go and see your Grandfather. It would probably mean more to him than you could imagine.

Take care
Soph

 
At 10/07/2005 02:09:00 pm, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi Sophie,
Those are some meaty puns there.

I'd like to see my Grandfather, but the old man has brain damage, and is quite confused with anything these days. Politically it is just not worth putting him under anymore stress.
HooRoo
Bec

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO