Friday, October 07, 2005

Crappy Jobs. Part Two.

Hi 3.5 inch disks, and other antique media devices, Well time to move on to the next Crappy Job, 7-11 Attendant. In all honesty, I was never officially employed at 7-11, so Andy you are sort of right. I had a friend who worked the night shift at one, I use to go along on the graveyard shift to people watch, and to serve behind the counter while he got a couple of hours sleep in the dead of the night. Sure I didn't get paid to do this, but there was endless Slurpies on tap, and at Midnight, fresh donuts arrived, and all "old" stock could be consumed. No wonder I got fat in my late teens. But this kind of human interaction was helpful to my acting career, well that is what I kept telling myself. I know I was just there for the donuts. There was this one night that takes me right back. It was a freak night, unlike any other freak night before. We had this guy rush in about 10pm wondering where the Kevin Bartlett oval was. I gave him general directions, and he thanked me then rushed out the door. Two hours later, he was back, again looking very lost and fustrated, wondering where the Kevin Barlett oval was. This time I pulled out the Melways (Street Directory) and showed him. Third street on the left, right at the first street, 800 metres down the road, there is the oval. He thanked me then rushed out the door. About 3 hours later, the same guy rushed in agan, wondering where the Kevin Bartlett oval was. I told him there is no such place, and he was never seen again. Working the night shift, you use to get a lot of moths in the store. Not the flying kind, but the two legged kind. People who would see the bright lights, walk into the store, wander around a bit, then leave when the door was open. They wouldn't say anything, they wouldn't buy anything, they would just wander. Sometimes I thought about using a can of insect repellant on them, just to see the reaction. About 2am this young couple came into the store, and got a heap of drinks, and snack food, and were buzzing with excitement. "Having a party are you?" I asked. They giggled and said yes. With all excitement they informed me that a heap of people had just knocked on their door, and said it was time for a party, so they had headed down to the store to get some food for them. I asked if they knew the people, because 2am on a Tuesday is a hell of a time to start a party. They told me, they didn't know the people, but they seemed like fun. At this point in time, I pointed out to them, they had left their house open to a bunch of strangers, and left the place, allowing these strangers to steal everything they had. All the party stuff was dropped on the counter, and they bolted off. Never to be seen again. I was happy, they had paid for everything, and never came back. More junk food for me. Anyway, that is enough adventures for one blog. More crappy jobs soon. Blog Out HooRoo Bec

2 Comments:

At 10/08/2005 10:57:00 am, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

Ha Ha! Moths! I like that descriptive name for the freaks.

I worked at a convenience store for 6 weeks. Here is one thing that amazed me:
The fried chicken sat in the glass case waiting to be sold. Then at the stroke of 10:00, it became trash. The manager forbade anybody to take it for free. We had a cashier who was hurting for money. We would put the chicken in a clean trash bag and set it out on the dumpster. The cashier's husband would just happen to be parked in the lot, and would "steal" the trash after we went back into the store.

 
At 10/08/2005 06:18:00 pm, Blogger Huggies said...

You can't loose with endless Slurpies on tap...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

mitch
Feed the Mitch

Free Counters
Free Web Site Counter



Get Firefox!

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by TRAMPANTO